Thursday, February 17, 2011

The Forestry Building

Since I'm here five days a week, Monday through Friday, I thought it would be nice to showcase the Stellenbosch Forestry building. Also for those of you familiar with the UBC Forestry building, you can compare and contrast.



Here is the front of the forestry building. It's built like a giant square with the courtyard in the centre. Not many buildings are built of wood here, but we're forestry so obviously wood has to feature! These are the front steps where we often go and have a "stand" during tea break.



The most important room, the tea room/kitchenette/mini library/computer lab. You can see the tea cups on the counter just waiting for tea. Every day at 10 am is tea break. Coffee is also available, but since I'm a tea drinker, tea for me. Tea, milk and sugar are provided for post-graduate students and staff. The undergrads are allowed to use the hot water only and it's quite a privilege to have access to the tea supplies. As the whole concept of a specific coffee/tea break is rather new to me, I have to admit I'm really enjoying it.



Here is a view of the forestry quad. We had the first forestry braai (similar to a BBQ but South African style and with great cultural significance) here and it was quite lovely. I sometimes sit and eat my lunch on the picnic table, although during the lunch break its the hottest part of the day so usually I'm overheated after. It's quite nice though and secluded. I may escape here to suntan in relative privacy some weekend.


And the place where all the magic happens! My office! Okay, actually I share the office with two fellow Master's students, but I'm here the most haha. My name is also on the nametag at the door. If the Canadian flag on the wall doesn't give it away, my desk is the the left hand corner. The pile of textbooks was my foray into learning the principles of GIS (geographic information systems) and a reference on soil mechanics. Anyways, it doesn't look like much, but I really do like working here. And of course, being South Africa in the summer, that little fan is absolutely essential.

No comments:

Post a Comment