Tuesday, February 1, 2011

On the shore

So, as I mentioned last post, I spent Saturday afternoon at the seaside with a couple of acquaintances who were going spear fishing and were happy to have someone watch their stuff. We went out along through Strand (a little city) on the ocean and out towards Betty's Bay (for those of you who want to pull out a map). The coast line is absolutely stunning; the mountains are quite rocky and this is the land of Fynbos (literally "fine bush") which has a scrub like look at this time of the year, although many of its flowers would be quite recognizable as parents of our common floral varieties (or so I'm told).


In the background, you can see the mountains. I'm surprised there is not more rock climbing in this area because the peaks look amazing. Apparently rock climbing is more popular in Cederberg, which I guess would be a few hours north.


And here are the rocks that I sat and suntanned on. Unfortunately it was a little bit hazy but I think you can just make out the Cape peninsula in the background. On a very clear day you can see all the way across False Bay.

It was a really wonderful afternoon and I was only mildly sunburnt. No fish were caught unfortunately, but apparently the dive itself was quite amazing as well. Later this week I'll try to post pictures of my residence where I live and Stellenbosch itself.

No comments:

Post a Comment